Saturday, April 19, 2014

Signs of Spring

"For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; 
The flowers appear on the earth; 
the time of the singing of birds is come..."
~ Song of Solomon 2:11-12

Spring is balm to this mama's soul. I like the coziness of winter, but the short, dark days and the cold dreariness bring me down. The first signs of spring are beautiful. They are refreshing and awakening. I'm ready to spend all of my days outside with dirty hands and a happy heart. {So, if you come to visit us, we might have to chat outside because the inside of my house will be utterly. neglected.}


I love all the mason jars. No matter the shape, size, or color {I do have a particular fondness for the aqua ones} I don't discriminate.  This little toothpick bottle is the perfect keeper of teeny, tiny bouquets picked by little, bitty hands.


Remember that post where I mentioned going to the feed store for pig feed...and then bringing home a few new chicks because well, these things just kind of happen when you bring two little girlies along {at least that's my excuse}.


The chicklets are the cutest. {And may I have that kind of natural eyeliner, pretty please.}


We came home with six new babies to add to our flock. They didn't know what they were in for when they hitched a ride home with us...


When two little girlies run the house live in the house, these kinds of things are bound to happen.  And chicks end up with names like Anna, Elsa, & Pippi, naturally.




While the new babies grow and play inside, the big girls free range and enjoy the sunshine outside. 





I love seeing everything come back to life, especially the tulips. They are my favorite. It makes me a little sad that they don't last longer, but we enjoy them while they're here...and so does Annabelle the Polka Dot Pig. 


Our feathered ladies are laying away in this warmer weather. Gathering fresh eggs from the nest boxes each day is a gift. It's my big girl's favorite.



More eggs mean more happy packages to deliver. We love spreading a little joy and a little love. The world needs more of that, you know.



Flowers are good for spreading happiness, too. I've taken the girls to shop for them a few times already. There are so many beautiful varieties...I have the hardest time making decisions. Most of the time, I just let the girls pick out their favorites.


I'm taking some of their flowers and filling a beloved old pair of boots that I can't part with. Both of the girls wore these boots, and I have always adored them. The girls have worn holes in them, but instead of throwing them away, we are filling them with pretty things. It's just better that way.


Our happy foods garden is slowly coming back to life. 



Hopefully, there will be many more posts soon journaling our second season of planting and gardening adventures. For now, the garlic is growing fiercely, our happy foods twig sign we made last year is coming out of storage, and we hung some happy mini-bunting (by Meg Duerksen) because we just feel that bunting should be everywhere!
Happy Spring ♥


Hoping you and yours are having a blessed and beautiful Easter weekend!



life rearranged


Friday Photo Journal




From The Farm Blog Hop


Sadie Sky Boutique





9 comments:

  1. Thank you for these beautiful photos (and words!) they were a total breath of fresh air. Loveeee you're blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post! I am so anxious to get back into the garden! We've still got some temperamental weather. We've picked all our daffodils and are awaiting the tulips--and 4 more chicks to add to our flock will come at the beginning of May. Love your piggie! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart you bestest :) mmmwah Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE!!!!! :-) 😘

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! I love the pig ones the best. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack, I am loving these as usual.. and I really enjoy that you are not sharing all of these on Instagram, or that I missed a few over there. Like Annabelle looking up at you and the egg basket... so sweet. FYI, Annabelle is pretty portly now, but that is a complement ;-D Your girls are getting so big. Hope you have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm coming for a visit and don't care of the inside is neglected!! Simply love and adore every single one. The photos with your new chicks...so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dont`t know why, you`re so far away...
    I love your blog, in so many things we are the same.
    Know i wonder how i found this blog, i`m from germany, especially bavaria :) and you can read it, i`m not the best in writing and reading english... hehe :) but i love reading your website and it makes me happy
    Thank you so much, I'm glad you're there :)
    I couldn't have put it better myself!
    I wish you and your family all the best,

    Kathrin

    ReplyDelete