Wednesday, January 1, 2014

One Word & a New Year

Resolutions...or Something Like That

Typically, this girl doesn’t bother with resolutions because I never keep them.  For the same reason, I am not a “planner” or “schedule maker.”  It kinda cramps my style.  I’m a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants gal.  So instead of listing resolutions that I would probably never keep, I decided to join the One Word 365 project and pick one word to focus on for the year.  I never declared a word for last year, but in reflection, it would probably be Hope.  Hope for humanity, hope for the future, hope in the Lord.  I continue to hold onto hope, but this year I have chosen to add Joy.



The daily grind gets to me.  I am not always the best I can be.  As a wife, a mother, a daughter, a friend, I get cranky and grumpy and moody...and it's usually those closest and dearest to me that feel it most.  Days that drag us out of the house at the break of dawn, going in separate directions, to work, to school...those are the hardest for me.  I am choosing Joy this year because I want to focus on it, pray about it, and let it fill my day-to-day tasks.  I want it to be sincere, and I want it to show. 



Last year was full of so much beauty and so many blessings.  I could never show my thankfulness enough.  God's mercies and grace abounded.  I am looking forward to another year full of promise lived one day, one moment, at a time.  I pray that I will approach the day-to-day with a better attitude and live purposefully with a deeper, greater joy.  And it won't always be easy...I am merely a work in progress...


"Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls...
We can do no great things-only small things with great love."
~ Mother Teresa

~~~~~

And while I don't make resolutions, I do have a few dreams and desires for the new year (it sounds so much better that way):


1.  Spend more time in the kitchen with my girls.  Our guy is the resident cook.  He’s pretty amazing like that.  I reeeeally need to learn to cook more.  I would love to let the girls pick out recipes and together we whip up something messy and delightful!

2.  Finish a book.  I have an affection for books.  I am a page turner.  Give me a real book with pages that smell like my grandparents' house.  Give me time to read it.

3.  Grow more food.  Guess who has already placed an order for seeds!  This girl :)  Seed catalogs arrive in the mail, and I have a mini-celebration.  I asked for grow lights for Christmas to start seedlings indoors.  I am weird.  I embrace it.  

4.  Paint more. Craft more.  Create more.  The girls and I need to work on that, seriously.  

5.  Workout.  Maybe.  I would much rather spend my time crafting or gardening or playing with a pig and chickens...but I suppose this old lady is getting a little out of shape.  The guy is requesting my presence for daily workout sessions...I told him I’d give him 30 minutes.  My enthusiasm is contagious, watch out.

6.  Rock some rainbow hair.  Yep, this thirty-something mommy wants rainbow hair.  At least once.  And I’ve already warned my guy.

7.  Get a bike.  A teal one.  With a basket and a bell.  And ride it {which, coincidentally, goes along with number 5!}

8.  Spend more time with the Lord.  I saved the best for last.  I want to spend more time in His word.  I need that, I need Him.  Every day of the year, every moment I live, I am His.  I want my life to reflect that always.  

"Joy is more than my spontaneous expression of laughter,
gaiety, and lightness.  It is deeper than an emotional expression of happiness.
Joy is a growing, evolving manifestation of God in my life as I walk with Him."
~ Bonnie Monson

We (guest appearance by the one and only Biggi) wish you and your family a blessed and Happy New Year!





5 comments:

  1. I love your word and your dreams/desires (especially the rainbow hair...umm...awesome!). My word for this year was purpose, and I think joy will play a lot into my word this year too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn!! :) Thanks so much! Purpose is a really great word, too, and yes, I think joy definitely plays into that! Happy New Year and blessings to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your points to keep, so good! Have a blessed and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm part of your "JOY" Tribe at OneWord365! :) I look forward to seeing what the year brings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your dreams and desires for the year....and I can't wait to see that rainbow hair! You're on the hook for it now that you put in on the interwebs :) Happy New Year my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete