Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Joy & A Much-Needed Conversation

Joy is my word for the year.  I’m trying to find the joy and seek the good in all my days.  When I sit down to write and share a post, I want it to be positive, encouraging, and uplifting.  There’s a reason I try to capture the beauty of our days.  Not just out of respect for my favorite little people who might one day read these reflections, but because I know that these days of childhood are fleeting.  The good times we want to hold on to forever, and the tough times, they too shall pass.  


It’s the silly words, the funny faces, the heart-melting moments, the good times that I want to remember most.


I feel that God has blessed me beyond words and given me an incredible opportunity to raise these people.  It is the most important and meaningful job I have.  I had a conversation with the best friend recently that got me to thinking...we parents sometimes need to know that we’re not alone.  We sometimes need a little more encouragement and support.  Because if we’re being honest, the day-to-day adventures of parenthood can be tough.  Granted, they can be funny, beautiful, unforgettable, and heart-warming, but they are not easy.  Our words, our actions, our reactions...we are always on the spot and on the go. We get tired and frustrated and misunderstood.  We’re not Pinterest perfect.  {Well, I’m not anyway. true story.}  No.  We’re real life.  We’re loads and loads of laundry piled up real.  We’re sinks full of dishes, countertops full of bills, and floors full of toys real. We’re kids don’t always sleep through the night, so some days we feel like the walking dead real.  

We are blessed with amazing little people who adore us, need us, and challenge us all at the same time.   


We love our families fiercely, but sometimes we just need a little time to ourselves.  We need to be alone.  Like lock ourselves in the bathroom for five minutes alone.  Get in the car and take a drive down the road alone.  Sit down and enjoy an entire cup of coffee before it gets cold alone.  Get lost in a few pages of a good book alone.    

And then we’re good.  We love our babies, we cherish our families, that’s not even a question.  We just need time to renew ourselves, which helps us to be better for our people. And we need to know that we’re not alone.  


So if you’re a mommy who’s maybe having a rough day, my bestie and I just want you to know that you are most certainly not alone, and we understand.  God has given us an awesome responsibility, and He will see us through.  Take a few deep breaths, focus on the good, think of the cutest thing your child has done...find your joy. 


“I always wanted to be a hero - 
to sacrifice my life in a big way one time - 
and yet, God has required my sacrifice to be thousands of days, over many years, 
with one more kiss, one more story, one more meal.” 
~ Sally Clarkson


  We wish you a blessed and beautiful day!


5 comments:

  1. That was a very encouraging post! Thank you. Your pictures are beautiful. I think I'm going to need to put the chalkboard paint on my daughter's bedroom door as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos! Such cute kiddos and great decor too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful post Amanda! Well said! And I love the suggestion of taking moment to breathe and think about the cutest thing your kid has ever done, definitely will help to change the mood a bit for the better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just makes me want to reach through the computer screen and hug you. And guess what? We have the same word this year!!!! Thank you for the beauty, comfort and LOVE that is always found here.
    Btw...Would love to see if you are interested in collaborating with me on something I'm involved with. It would include providing images with scripture to be shared on another site...you would be mentioned as image source. If it sparks your interest...email me at simplybeth3(at)gmail(dot)com.
    {Hugs} to you.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete