Friday, January 10, 2014

Insta-Friday: Midst of Winter

A random collection of grainy goodnesses captured through my cell phone along with the stories behind them.  That seems to be the theme of this bloggity blog of mine.  

It has been freezing and raining and muddy and yucky.  Then there was some polar vortex/hurricane thing.  All I know is, this girl is ready for spring.  I mentioned to my guy that I was ready to move somewhere further south.  I needed more warmth in my life.  He casually mentioned, "You know the bugs get bigger the further south you go."
After some thought, I decided to stay.



Needless to say, we spend more time indoors these days.




Like, a lot more time.


But I ordered my first batch of seeds...all kinds of happy packets arrived in the mail! 
 I just can't wait to play in the dirt.


Speaking of dirt...
Have you ever had a pig?  I highly recommend one :)  I adore this little piggy with all my heart.  I have two little girlies who are pretty fond of her, too.  


Despite the temps and the mud, my girls wrap up and join me outside from time to time to love on our backyard farmyard babies.


Our sweet Annabelle the Polka Dot Pig ♥



Fill your pockets with peanut butter treats, and she's your friend for life.  At least until your pockets are empty...


Then there are eggs to collect.  It's so exciting to find fresh eggs. 


The big girl usually beats anyone else to the coop and gathers our one little egg of the day.  (Our chickens are just starting to lay.)  Then she begs to eat it.  


The munchkin finally got her egg, though.  And it was all hers to eat ;)


Yep, that's a chicken egg.


Yep, you can have it!


I'm not exactly sure which of my fluffy ladies are laying yet, but I actually saw this one scratching around in the nest box one day.  Sophie the Australorp.  She is one of the sweetest birds we have.  


This is the other sweet one.  Diamond the Barred Rock.  The little girlie in pink can be pretty sweet, too...just depends on the day.


Chickens are so funny.  They are always taking strolls over to see their neighbor.  I think they like the little pig, too.  


Bella the Mouse Hunter just kind of watches everything from a distance.  She's still not sure of the chickens or the pig.  


Once we can no longer feel our noses or cheeks or fingers, we decide to head back inside to play with my little ponies, get a little crafty, and drink something warm.  



And when I say get a little crafty, I mean try to teach myself to crochet by watching a gazillion YouTube videos and reading my grandmother's book...I am the worst. student. ever.  I am pretty sure that crocheting should not be this hard...sigh.  I get pep talks from beautiful Instagrammy friends who are whipping up headbands and blankets.  I can totally do this...stay tuned ;)


We hope you're having a blessed and beautiful week!  

17 comments:

  1. Once you get the hang of crocheting, you'll love it! It's such a fun craft with endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement Jennifer...I need it! ;) Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  2. I love all your farm animals and photos. I would love to get my girls together with your girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jill!! I adore all of your violin and nature posts!!! We would have such a fun time together! :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! I finally found you online instead of just through IG and am following now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! :) I enjoy our IG community so much!! I'm glad you found my little space here!

      Delete
  4. I love the new look of your blog, beautiful, and of course your amazing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ashley!! :) You are such a blessing! Hugs to you my friend!

      Delete
  5. oh your blog is pretty, pretty! Can I say, it makes me feel much better that you are struggling with crochet. I am too... I can't seem to figure much out beyond one row... I figure if you get it, then you can explain it in easier terms for me ;-)... those pig picture, sigh... love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa!! :) I am so happy with it!! ~ And I still can't crochet! I don't know why I can't figure it out...I keep saying I'm the worst student ever! Maybe one day...and if you figure it out first, please help me! ;)

      Delete
  6. Your photos are always so beautiful! I am with you on moving south. though I do love that in MN we don't have many snakes. I have such fears of them and in GA where i grew up they were everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! ~ Oh, I don't care for snakes at all either! We sometimes see them stretched across roads and around buildings...I take off in the opposite direction!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Krista!! :) I just wanted something new/different, and I really do love it!

      Delete
  8. Just curious, where did you order your seeds from/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baker Creek Seed Catalog! It's my first time ordering from them. I can't wait to start planting seeds!

      Delete
  9. Your girls are simply precious. And I think I'd like your pigs and chickens too. :)

    ReplyDelete