Monday, October 28, 2013

Being Mom & Welcoming Fall

Disclaimer:  I know it's Monday...these are last weeks photos.  We get a little busy with life, and I get a little behind with my journaling.  I could just blame it on the chickens ;)

Do you ever have moments when you look at your kids and think, when in the world did that happen?!  Who are you and what did you do with my baby?  sigh...


I've been having those moments a lot lately with this little munchkin of mine.  And yes, I will probably always call her my munchkin.  Just like I still call my 5'9" sister "Shorty" ~ that's just how nicknames work.  


She's getting so big.  She is carrying on conversations and counting and trying to read.  She wants to do everything herself.


She wants to help.  With everything.  Her most adorable expressions include: 
"Me do it self"
"Oh my hoodness"
She postpones bedtime by counting out hugs and kisses.  One, kiss.  Two, kiss.  Three, kiss. 
{We usually make it to ten.}


When I was in the hospital with our first baby girl, a light bulb went off.  {I tell this story all the time...you may have heard it already.}  But finally, after years and years (mostly those pesky teenage years) of fighting it, ignoring it, not believing it...I finally realized how my parents felt.  The things that they did for us, the words, the moments, the emotions, it all made perfect and beautiful sense ♥ ~ Now, six years and two little girlies later, I'm still trying to figure out this parenting stuff and praying that I'm doing more good than harm to these amazing little lives God has shared with us.  There's this quote that I often remember {I really like quotes...it's kinda my thing}:

"It is interesting that of all the ways Paul could have told the women to combat the decadence of their culture, he told them to invest their energies in training the younger women to live Christianly in their society."
~ Susan Hunt

My energy, my prayers, my heart and soul...
{and pretty girls of mine, it will all make sense to you one day, too.  
Life's awesome that way.}


It sure is a fun and incredible responsibility raising little ladies...


And speaking of little ladies ;)  
{you knew I was going to get to the chickens eventually, right}


It's getting colder and windier on the Half-Acre Home on the Range, and I'm not a huge fan of losing daylight.  I have decided that my mood is directly related to the weather...and the amount of sunshine I get each afternoon...and the amount of time I get to spend with the chickens.  





But I do love fall dearly.  The colors, the crisp air.  



We've enjoyed starting fires (contained safely, of course), making s'mores, eating pancakes, driving through the mountains, carving pumpkins, and pulling out our favorite hats.  Fall is comforting.  Fall is good.  



Bella the Mouse Hunter and I hope you are having a wonderful week and enjoying all the goodness of this cozy season!  


“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all - ...
~ Emily Dickinson



 Have a beautiful day!


{ on Instagram @mychaosandcoffee }

life rearranged


Friday Photo Journal




6 comments:

  1. I feel so much the same with my boys. Sometimes when I'm looking at them I not only wonder at how they grew up so quick on me but its almost like I can see glimpses of an adult in there. An adult that still has a lot of growing to do do but they're in there none the less. Like you I pray all the time that I am doing more right by them than wrong. It's easy to get caught up in the mistakes we make but when I think of my own mom, those simple hugs and kisses and the fact that I can talk to her about anything are what shaped me the most.

    And you know I love the chickens ;) We have one last shot at moving to the house we want in the country and we're really hoping this third time is the charm! I could have chickens there. I absolutely love the types you have, they are such pretty little ladies. And I find myself more and more captivated by feathers lately, love your pic of them!

    Have a great day Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear friend...you make me smile! Where does time go???? Spending time with my two grown boys this past weekend had me saying the same but what joy to see the young men they have become. They bless me so. What a precious gift from God children are.
    I love how you eventually got to your lovely chickens!!!!
    You share fabulous quotes too!
    I feel the same about less light and the colder weather...completely effects my mood. I'm working on that. I'm going to embrace winter this year. It started with going golfing with my men when it was too cold in my opinion. :)
    {Hugs} to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda! I just got back from seeing my first-born who turned 30 the day you posted this. Now there's a mind-blower! What with me being only 35 myself, it's a tad awkward....

    Your little ones are always going to amaze you, it never stops. I loved the photo of the striped leggings, yellow coat, and heart-print hat. That says it all to me. Love of life, love of chickens, love for her Mom. Precious.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! Your daughters are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete