Tuesday, September 17, 2013

We Rush Home to Slow Down

Now that the school year is back in full swing and the days are getting shorter, the girls and I take advantage of every moment we get outside together.  We worked all summer to create our own little home on the range, our happy place.  We rush home from school in the afternoons, change our clothes, grab a snack, throw on our boots, race each other outside...and then we slow down.  We breathe.  We unwind.  We escape.  Well...that's what I call it, anyway.  The girls would probably call it something completely different ;)






And if you had told me, several long months ago, that we would be this enamored with chickens, I probably would've laughed.  I knew I wanted to raise chicks and build a cute coop on the edge of our garden, but I had no idea how much I would fall in love with them.  And whatever I feel for these feathered friends is only magnified in my girls.  They are so entertaining...and I can't get over how quickly they are growing up on us.  



Diamond {Barred Rock}


Juliet {Silver-laced Cochin} & Belle {Buff Brahma}


Our little ladies reached a milestone this week.  Since we moved them outside into their run, I have been heading out each evening before dark to pick them up one by one and place them inside the coop.  I always found them huddled up together near the door of the run.  Last night, for the very first time, I walked out to meet them, and they were not in sight.  They had put themselves to bed.  I almost cried.  I was so proud and a little sad all at the same time.  Crazy Perfectly normal, I know.  



We maintain our opinion that chickens are, indeed, a girl's best friend ♥



We hope you're having a beautiful week and finding time to slow down!



{All photos taken with my iPhone 4 because I'm retro like that ;) ~ Follow our outdoor loving, coffee drinking, chicken raising adventures on Instagram: 
@mychaosandcoffee #halfacrehomeontherange}



life rearranged



Friday Photo Journal

14 comments:

  1. I love your little chicken coop! I'm here from Lisa's linky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel the same way when school starts...that once school is done for the day you still need to do something summery :) Love how the girl's have their chairs set up in the chicken coop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! I have two girls and we do the same thing every day! Minus the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow, I now want chickens . . .lovely! Your girls are beautiful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your sweet family, including your chickens. So, so beautiful! I'm sure I'd love coming for a visit some day. :)
    Much love to you,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are so dreamy Amanda!! Love, love, love them! :) Thank you for linking up with Simple things Sunday. It was so nice to stop by your blog for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because I'm retro like that... haahaa, I'm stealing that line, me too! I do believe you have a dreamy life Amanda. I think, one day, a little coffee and a lot of chatting sitting outside your chicken coop would be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chickens are simply beautiful...really. Doesn't make me weird to say that right? I so love following along on your adventures :) I'm inspired by the quiet little country life you have created for your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful outdoor oasis for your girls to grow up. I especially love your chicken coop. I want chickens so bad, but haven't been able to convince the hubby yet. Still working on it, though. ;)

    P.S. Stopping by from InstaFriday at Life Rearranged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm so jealous, my sister has chickens and I would love to have some but we aren't aloud to have them in our city.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are amazing and I love your encouragement to slow down and savor the days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was such a fun post to read! Getting back into our (new) school routine as been crazy the last couple of weeks so your afternoons sounds so refreshing.
    I've missed being a round to check out what's going on in your world so I'm off to do a little blog stalking ;-)
    Grace and peace be yours, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These photos are really lovely. Your chickens are growing up so fast. I love seeing how your property is changing with the seasons.

    ReplyDelete