Monday, July 8, 2013

Rain Barrel Art on a Sunshiny Day


The girls and I found a new project to get our hands into.  Our Happy Foods garden is growing, and I thought a rain barrel would be a perfect complement.  I went searching online for ideas and instructions and came across a website where a community sold rain barrels as fundraisers.  What an awesome idea!  I googled rain barrels in our hometown and came across some made and sold by our very own Master Gardener Association!  We could get our rain barrel and support a local organization.  Perfect :)


After meeting the kindest people {and my big girl's new teacher for the fall~it's such a small world} we headed home with our new barrel.  

The girlies and I love to paint, and this large blue surface was just begging for some bright, happy colors :)  I did want to make sure we prepared the barrel properly because it would be out in the elements.  I found instructions here and headed to Lowe's armed with my printouts.  


We used extra fine sandpaper to roughen up the surface of the barrel without scratching it.  


After light sanding, I cleaned the surface with Windex.  {It was the first cleaner I grabbed.  It worked.}


If you checked out the link above, you'll see that Krylon fusion paint is recommended.  Our beloved Lowe's didn't carry it.  {No one's perfect.} So I went with this flat Valspar paint + primer.  It was suitable for plastic, and the nice guy at Lowe's said it would work, so we gave it a try.


It took two cans of spray paint.  I didn't put it on too thickly because I kind of liked the dappled look with hints of blue peeking through.  It reminded me of the sky.  We went with it.


And now the fun part.  This is where the action begins :)  I bought several different colors of acrylic paint and let the girls jump right in.


We painted grass around the bottom of the barrel and added a tree complete with their adorable little handprints.  




After the tree was finished, they picked out their own spaces and painted away.  




They added sunshine, smiley faces, and animals.  I really love the birds :)  It was another fun project by my two favorite artists!  Now, we just have to start collecting our rainwater.



Thanks for stopping by!  Have a bright, sunshiny day :)




A Little R & R


Crafty Kids Link Up

6 comments:

  1. Awwww .... I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I've wanted to get a rain barrel. You inspire me. xo, ab

    ReplyDelete
  3. It so cute! And what an industrious task to take on...I'm impressed since I'm more of the quick and easy style of crafting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! It looks like your girls had a blast painting that rain barrel!
    We are featuring this post today over at Huckleberry Love. Be sure to stop by and grab our featured button to display on your blog!
    Have a great weekend! :-)

    Emily
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word - you are so creative. I love this!!!! So happy and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a great way to encourage the kids to collect rainwater! This is a good practice to conserve water and help the environment. And by lessening your water consumption at home, you are also helping yourself save money from a reduced water bill. Good luck with the project!

    Sharon Strock @ StormChamber®

    ReplyDelete