Monday, July 22, 2013

Adventures With Chicks ~ Week 1

If you happened to read my last post, you know that the chicks arrived!  Our fuzzy new babies are here :)


I ordered our chicks from My Pet Chicken.  I ordered from them because I could have a small number of chicks shipped (six was the minimum number for my postal code), I could pick and choose what breeds I wanted (as long as they were available on my preferred shipping date), and I could pick all females.  I live in the country surrounded by pines and oaks, so if one of my Misses just happens to be a Mister, I can be ok with that.  {And for any new chicken folks out there who may not know, you don't need a rooster for hens to lay eggs.  You only need a rooster if you want those eggs fertilized for baby chicks.}  I just have to say, that based on their customer service alone, I would order from My Pet Chicken again in a heartbeat.  I called several times about my order and each time I spoke with a real person who genuinely seemed to care, and each one was extremely helpful and patient with this new chicken owner.  Our babies arrived bright and early in the morning at our local post office.  The girls and I barely took the time to change out of our pajamas before rushing to greet them :)


The chicks are currently living in our laundry room...who needs to wash clothes, really?  All of their little supplies are housed on top of the washing machine.  


I wanted to be prepared for these new additions to the family, so I've been trying to do my homework.  I've been reading pages and pages of posts, comments, and information at Backyard ChickensThe Chicken Chick, and I even bought a book.  I am now, officially, an expert.  Totally serious.  Just kidding. Ha!  But you could call me a crazy chicken lady these days...and I would be ok with that ;)

This is their little home right now.  The large blue tub is our brooder.  Instead of using one of those huge (dangerous, scares me to death, and I don't want our house to burn down) heat lamps, I bought a Brinsea EcoGlow chick brooder.  It's awesome.  (And I have a confession.  I found it on Amazon, so I saved some money on it.)  The chicks love it.  They run out to eat, drink, and play, and then they run back under it for a quick nap.  
{Charlie Brown-Black is, in fact, annoyed thrilled to be sharing his space and attention with these strange and noisy little creatures.}    


For the first week, I have been putting paper towels down over their pine shavings (pine NOT cedar - cedar is toxic and can kill chicks) while they figure out what's food and what's not.  I don't plan on taking them outside until they're bigger, so I bring pieces of the backyard to them.  It helps to build up immunity to things found in our yard.  It also provides entertainment and gives them something to peck at besides each other.  My big girl calls it a dirt toy.  Aren't they adorable?!  I am so in love with them already.  So is the hubby:
Me:  Don't you just love the little chirping sounds they make?
Hubby:  "No."
He's totally falling for them.  
{And this is also the guy in charge of building their Fort Knox of a coop...we love him!}


The curious little fuzzballs in the front are Sophie (an Australorp) and Rapunzel (a Buff Orpington).  


Rapunzel.  She's easily the most entertaining and mischievous of the group.  She's the first to check things out and the quickest to get away.  I'm going to have to keep an eye on this one.  


The little gray baby above is Scout (a Brahma and named after one of my most favorite characters ever) since I could never convince the hubby to let me name one of our girlies Scout.


They fall asleep randomly.  It's so cute.  I could watch them for hours.  
This is Belle (a Buff Brahma).  


These two lovelies are my silver-laced cochins.  Cochins are beautiful.  Look at those little feathers on their legs.  I just want to squeeeeeeze them...but not too hard.  We named these two girlies Delilah & Juliet.  The big girl was in charge of naming the chicks, but I did throw my two-cents in at times, and these two babies are my own special girls.  I know, I totally shouldn't have favorites...  I wanted to name them Rizzoli & Isles, but the big girl turned up her nose and said, "No way, those are boys' names."  I tried.  So then we came up with Delilah & Dory (as in Dory from Finding Nemo).  But then the big girl decided that the name Dory would be best suited for a duck because ducks swim in water, and Dory was a fish.  So, we decided on Juliet.  And while I would love to say that my super smart girl based it on the star-crossed lover in Shakespeare's play, she was actually referring to a little red gnome from the animated movie Gnomeo & Juliet.  Perhaps you've seen it?  

We are enjoying these little chickies so much and could spend hours watching them.  Not only are they entertaining, but they will eat bugs, provide awesome garden fertilizer, and of course breakfast ;)  

The week has been filled with all of the little chores that come along with the new babies, and the girls are right with me every step of the way.  Sometimes, they're actually in my way, but I guess I should be more thankful that they want to help.  The biggest problem we have is trying to get anything else done because we want to spend all of our time watching and playing with the chicks.  And then there was that awkward moment when I suggested chicken nuggets for lunch right after we finished checking on them...





What about you?  Do you have chickens?  I'm kinda fascinated with them right now.  Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our journey :)
Have a great day!




4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new peeps, Amanda! You'll be amazed at how quickly the tiny, fuzzy phase turns into awkward adolescent phase. LOL! I appreciate the shout-out.

    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, what a delightful post! I love all their names and I love how you are obviously falling in love with all of them. I think I shared that my small group leaders have two chickens (Big Mamma and Kong Pow). I think it's so cool as not something you'd hear of too frequently out here in the Chicago suburbs. Thank you for sharing your newest family additions with us. I can't wait to watch them grow.
    Blessings,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaawww, they are sooooo adorable! And I totally love Gnomeo and Juliet ;) The boys get tired of me always suggesting we watch it again and again. Can't wait to see more of your chicken adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I'm totally adding My Pet Chicken to places I need bookmarked... Your husband's "enthusiasm" cracks me up - it sounds SO like my husband. They are great guys... letting us chase our crazy dreams and even being the coop-architects. God is good. :) I'm looking forward to watching your chicks grow and learning about the different breeds (and ordering some for our coop!).

    At what age can they go outside? And how did you select the specific breeds? (I'm a "that one's pretty - I'll take it" kind of chicken shopper at this point, however I suspect that's not the way one is to choose farm animals. But if it is, all the better!)

    I'm loving your writing and photos and your space here - I'm so glad to know you now! Have a blessed weekend. I'm not doing anything for a Snapshot Saturday today because I have NO PHOTOS... oh my word. I've had THAT BORING a week of cleaning and painting stuff in my house. This cannot happen again. ;)

    ReplyDelete