Monday, June 24, 2013

Surprise Gifts & Simple Projects

Moms are the best, aren't they?  No matter how old I get, I still need my mom.
We spend a lot of time together {with two little girlies in tow}.  Recently, my mom surprised me with three beautiful galvanized metal gifts! ♥  They are early birthday presents, and I love them!  She knew I would.  {Does anyone else get this excited over buckets and watering cans?}  I love that she knows what makes my heart go pitter patter :)  



Aren't they just lovely :)  Here is another picture of the watering can with the dragon fly on it's side.


After the fun gifts, we decided to ride into town to see what we could get into.  I dragged her to a couple of thrift stores looking for anything to paint or repurpose and found this little $5 chair.  


{Hello cutie.  You will look really great in some bright color for the girls to enjoy out on the porch...}

I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do with the large metal tub.  My mom uses them for planters, and her flowers are always so beautiful.  So, off to Lowe's we went.  It took a lot of potting mix to fill that tub.  She drills holes in hers, but I wasn't ready to put a hole in my brand new tub, so I filled the bottom of mine with rocks to help with drainage.


When it comes to flowers, I am always asking her advice.  She has the greenest thumb.  She has all kinds of flowers and arrangements, and they're always so beautiful.  I was looking for a couple of perennial flowers that had long blooming seasons {at least summer & fall} and a few annuals to throw in the mix, but I was trying to stick to a budget {because I have probably already spent way too much on plants and dirt this year...sigh}.  This is what I ended up with:


I love it!  I didn't spend a great deal of money, and these will grow and spread during the season filling the tub even more.  

Now about that thrift store chair...


While we were at Lowe's picking up flowers and dirt, I grabbed {yet another} can of spray paint.  We decided to go with yellow.  We had painted the glider teal and a little side table orange, so naturally, we needed to add some yellow to the mix.  I honestly didn't do anything to prep the chair.  I just took it out to the end of the driveway, put an old sheet beneath it, and sprayed away.  


I was so excited with both projects, and they were so simple.  I spent an awesome day with my mom and my girls and came home to create this happiness :)  
Not too bad for a day that started with no plans at all...those are sometimes the best! ;)
Have a great one!




A Little R & R

1 comment:

  1. The chair looks so fresh...love the lemony paint and the tub looks great too. But the part of your post I liked best is the relationship you have with your mom. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete