Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Glider & A Loving Makeover

My beautiful grandparents are both in heaven today.  My Grandpa joined the love of his life earlier this year.  Some of you may remember this post:


The last few months have not been easy.  The family has had so many things to sort out and work through together.  The home that once belonged to my beloved Grandma and Pappy is now an empty shell.  The memories that were made there live on in our hearts and our photos...but the house itself is almost unrecognizable.  It's such a sad thing, but it's also a reminder that life isn't about our possessions or how much we can accumulate.  My grandparents left behind many things, but the greatest things they left our families can only be felt in the heart ♥

As the house was slowly emptied, we had the pleasure of bringing home this old glider that sat outside.  My grandparents had this on their porch for as long as I can remember.  From years of holding family members and weathering the elements, the layers of paint were chipping off and pieces of the wood were starting to rot and break away.


I wanted to give this glider new life.  I couldn't imagine throwing it away.  First of all, it was from my grandparents' porch.  Second of all, I just love old stuff, and finally, if you're new here, I absolutely love to paint things :)  {never mind the fact that I'm no professional...or even very good at it, minor details}


This was definitely one of my biggest projects to date.  It took time.  I scraped as much of the peeling paint off as I could.  I was armed with a paint scraper/metal brush combo and a sanding block.  Oh, and a cute little helper ;)


My awesome hubby, the construction guy that he is, brought home new lattice wood to replace the bottom pieces that were broken or had rotted.  He cut them, nailed them on for me, and handed over his power sander for a few days.  


It took me a while to decide on a paint color.  At first, I thought about a marigold yellow...but I fell in love with this teal. {I know, everything I paint is teal.}  So, I picked this up in an exterior latex paint and began painting to my heart's desire.  I painted...and painted...and the paint ran, and those little slats were kind of a nightmare.  


I finally decided I was done, and I was so excited! {never mind the fact that there were a few paint runs and thin spots, minor details}  I will just tell folks not to look too closely when they come and sit a spell ;)



The girls love it.  They were using it before and during the makeover process, so now that it's done, they're really enjoying it!  It looks so bright and cheerful on our porch...I sometimes wonder if Grandma and Pappy would like the color :)


Before/After:



Thanks for reading along.  Have a beautiful day!




Time to Sparkle Tuesday


A Little R & R


Crafty Kids Link Up

4 comments:

  1. I Love it and so would they! :-) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! And the best part is that it is a piece of your heritage that your children can enjoy. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wished that I could invest in a porch Swing. I like the paint job as it is a combination of my two favorite colors,which are Blue & Green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!!! Makes me wish I had a porch just so I could have a glider like this! We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete