Sunday, January 27, 2013

All that Glitters...is Probably a Big Mess

As a mom, I start to get suspicious when things get quiet, or I hear my big girl yell, "Mooooommy...sissy's naked," or I walk into a room and smell fingernail polish...


Yeah, something's definitely wrong when I find this one hiding in a corner trying to paint her own teeny, tiny glittery nails.  She only managed to ruin a pair of pants.  Another day I caught her elbows deep in a fish bowl.  She had fished out a plant, rocks...everything but the poor fish.  How one child manages to get into so much so quickly, I will never understand.  

The two of them together, though, that's another story.  My house is in such a state...it’s one of those times where so much needs to be done that I have no idea where to start, and it’s so overwhelming...so I just give up.  Do you ever feel that way?  I offered an apology once to anyone who should visit our home in the next...oh...18 years because of it’s constant state of disarray.  Two little girls creating such a big mess.  It’s kind of impressive.



Sometimes I feel like a failure...completely.  But then, I am reminded that this time passes by so quickly, and one day I will miss these messes and these moments.  


Over the weekend I read a passage in my Woman's Study Bible (Nelson publishers) that I treasure.  The author writes, 
"Mothers often fail to savor the precious, fleeting moments with their daughters.  In rushing through life, they sometimes take time only for the high spots, while the small, daily experiences that give life its character and the most delicious and meaningful moments are all but lost in the shuffle." 

I don't want to lose these moments in the shuffle because I hope one day we will look back on them and share our favorites and laugh.  They're not always perfect or clean...but these moments still shine, and I thank the Lord for each crazy, silly, messy one!









It is is my deepest prayer to be the best mom I can be and to raise these two blessings of mine to be the best that they can be.  

{Side note:  It's funny to me how I started this post feeling all down and frustrated and wanting to share that.  I wanted others who may be feeling the same way to know they're not alone.  Or maybe I'm the one who's all alone ;)  Either way, my post started out as one thing and ended up something a bit different.  I began looking through the pictures at the little faces and started thinking, "well, maybe that mess wasn't so bad..."  Those big, bright eyes and huge hearts have a way of doing that to me, I guess ♥}

"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...
but how much love we put in that action."
~ Mother Teresa

Hope you have a wonderful week! :)

Sharing this post with these lovely ladies:



miscellany monday at lowercase letters

Covered in Grace


Apples of Gold


5 comments:

  1. Stopping by from MM..........what a fabulous entry Amanda! And, take it from one who has "been there done that" and lived to tell about it, these years will go by so quickly and you will look back and wonder where the time went for sure. My kiddos are 33 and 36 now, the house stays clean all the time, there are no messes and I do enjoy this phase, but the years of full time motherhood will be forever etched upon my heart. Blessings to you as you "go forth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. I think a lot of times we forget to cherish the small moments in a lot of aspects of life and tend to focus on the problems or messes. It's a good reminder! The other day I noticed the two little boys I watch were super quiet so I went looking and found them in the linen closet- pulling all the towels and sheets down. Fun for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopped by from MM, too! I can't agree more...and I'm in that similar stage. I've got a 4 year old and almost 2 year old. I cherish them constantly! So precious! Keep it up. I love the unicorn mask...and your reference from your study Bible. Staying in the word most certainly helps us cherish those moments. When we have God's perspective on things, we can soak it in. =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post reminds me of my girls! :) What a beautiful post Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh your little girls are absolutely gorgeous!!! You are so so blessed.

    Between the lines

    ReplyDelete