Monday, November 12, 2012

The Happy Day Project

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa

Jeannett over at Life Rearranged is pretty amazing!  She has a beautiful, bouncing, busy family, an awesome blog, and hosts one of my most favorite link-ups, Insta-Friday! :)  I have never met this super lady in real life, but I feel like I know her already!  She also shared and hosted The Happy Day project and gave readers like me a little push to do some nice things throughout the week.  No matter how busy, no matter how crazy, we can all take a little time to do something kind.  I have to admit, rarely do I finish anything...sadly, this was no different.  I started off with such awesome intentions.  But the week got the best of me, bleh.  I think the whole point of this project was to MAKE the time.  We are so richly blessed in so many ways, we should pass along some love to others. Alas, I feel I failed in some ways, BUT, we did do a few nice things with good intentions in our hearts, so here is our small part of this happy project.

The printables Jeannett shared this week were so fun and colorful and sure to cheer up anyone.  On day one,  we printed off the adorable cards.  And I just want to say that I am now in love with Pen & Paint, and I shall stalk your blog forever.  Thanks.  


My big girl helped me with some of the projects.  I told her we were going to treat people this week.  This was her classic response, "What do you mean treat?  Is that like trick?  Are we going to trick them like trick or treat?"  Ummm...I think we will leave out the trick part, we're just going with the treat.  I let her decide who to give the handwritten cards to.  Her daddy, of course, got the first one.  And it pretty much made his day.  (Because he's totally a marshmallow inside, but I didn't say that.)


When I was thinking about the gift for the homeless, I immediately thought about the tragedy and destruction Hurricane Sandy left behind.  I was devastated and in disbelief as I saw some of the pictures.  Homes completely gone.  Nothing left.  I knew immediately I wanted to donate.  The hubby, who by now knew about our little Happy Day Project, suggested Mercury One.  It was a done deal.  Donation sent.  (P.S. I just love it when he comes on board and joins my adventures.)


I wish it could've been more, but I treated two of my dear friends at work with a few lunch goodies.  We meet up every day for thirty minutes to catch up, unwind, check up on families, vent...oh, and eat lunch.  It's very therapeutic, and I am so thankful for their friendships.  


I did not get a goody bag together {sigh, I am a complete failure} but I did take two adorable little girlies (they are treats themselves, really) to visit Pappy.  My gregarious munchkins decided to peruse the adult fiction novels shelved in the lounge area...thank goodness this one can't read.


My husband served in the army (I love that), so I have a deep appreciation and passion for those who so bravely fight and have fought for our freedoms, our country, and our beliefs.  To honor those who have served, I donated to the Wounded Warrior Project.  I am so thankful for the people and organizations who work to take care of our honorable men and women.  God bless them all.


This was such a great thing, and I'm so thankful for the opportunity.  We are our own worst critics, and I know I could've done a better job, but I'm glad for what we could do.  Thanks again, Jeannett, for planting this seed and sharing this opportunity!  Here's to the next Happy Day Project! :)

life rearranged

Have a blessed day!

10 comments:

  1. What an amazing week of giving. I love that you let your daughter choose who would get treated. As I was doing this I kept thinking how amazing this will be to do once we have kids. What a blessing to your kids to show them what love looks like. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great time and such a blessing!! Definitely an adventure with kids ;) Thanks so much for stopping by and for the kind comments! Have a blessed day!!

      Delete
  2. So many wonderful things in this post! That photo of your daughter and husband - so sweet! Thanks for reminding us of the necessity of being intentional in our kindnesses. It seems like so much of life involves just getting by and we forget (at least I do) to look outside ourselves.

    s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind comments!! I often forget, too. I thought this project was such a wonderful idea, and it made me stop and think about what I could do to bring a smile to someone else. I was so grateful for that!! :)

      Delete
  3. What wonderful work you did! Don't let it get you down if you could not complete the whole thing. Just look at the love you shared! AND you had your daughter get into it too, the good in that is immeasurable!

    PS I love the picture of her with your hubby, their expressions are so ridiculously sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words!! :) Yes, I am very thankful for what we did do and that my girl joined in!! We had such a great time, especially with the handmade card! These are little things that I hope to continue to do with them. And I LOVE that picture, too!! :)

      Delete
  4. I love that your hubby helped out! And what a great idea to donate to the Sandy victims, I wish I would have thought of that. And don't get down about not having an adorable foo-foo goodie bag put together, the point is that you thought of your friends, and that's all that matters! I literally stopped at a convenience store and bought a bunch of junk food for my little brother to take on a road trip, now let's talk about not cute hah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and I need to get in on giving too! I just never know what is legit so I will have to get with you on that one!
    Love you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did good . Those little girls really spread some happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading about all the wonderful ways you carried out the Happy Day Project. Very cool it became a family project.

    ReplyDelete