Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Embracing the Mess & the Camera

Some days, I want to step over the toys instead of pick them up, I want to shop online for new clothes instead of actually washing the dirty ones we already have, and I want to watch all of my recordings just waiting so patiently in the DVR instead of watching Dora & Peppa Pig.  I just get tired, and all I want to do is sit around the house in my pajamas.  (Is that normal?  Yes? No?  I don't know.)  Then, the mommy in me gets to thinking, and I realize how thankful I am for the two little girls who scatter those toys and make those messes.  



I remember telling my mom once, after a particular hectic morning (you know, running late for work, getting girlies dressed while they're still asleep, dragging them out of bed kicking and fussing), "I get so tired of the morning chaos and drama!" Her reply was something like, "If you didn't have chaos, you probably wouldn't have a husband or kids."  I thought about that the rest of the day...and I still think about it.  


(Showing off the space where she lost her second tooth)

Sharing a home with my girls and my husband is a blessing, and I will take the messes any day as long as my favorite peeps come with them.  So, dried Play-Doh, broken crayons, unshelved books, dirty dishes, stained clothes, and rebellious toys, I will endure you yet {I may even welcome you} because your presence also means that two little girls are probably up to their cute noses in joy.  Here's to a few more years together...which will no doubt fly by much too quickly!

"In raising children, all you can do is your best...we take care of the possible 
and leave the impossible to God."
~ Ruth Bell Graham






17 comments:

  1. Amanda I so love reading your blogs!! Enjoy those messes!! I know you've heard a thousand times "it will go by in a flash"!! Don't blink, it will be gone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tammy!!! :) I am trying to enjoy the messes ;) It's already going by so quickly!!

      Delete
  2. Your blog is fastly becoming one of my top favorites. It's so refreshing to see a perspective like yours!! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Ashley, what an encouragement!!! :) Thanks so much for reading and for the kind comments, have a blessed day!!!

      Delete
  3. Truly, even amidst the chaos and the mess, there are lessons being forged in this season that couldn't be learned otherwise, don't you think?
    (at least that's what I keep telling myself;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful way to put it!! :) I completely agree! Thanks so much for stopping by, have a blessed day!!

      Delete
  4. I love your mom's words. I love when simple words can strike us so deep. I'll be keeping those words with me as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moms just seem to always know what to say...I'm just wondering how long it will take me to figure it out ;) Thanks so much for reading and for your kind comments :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love what your mom said, what an excellent reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, too!! I can always count on her to tell me what I need to hear ;)

      Delete
  6. Beautifully said once again! ... and yes, more words of wisdom (LOL) ... this time in your life will pass WAY too quickly! Enjoy every minute!
    Love you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best :) Thanks for telling me what I need to hear...even though I don't always want to listen ;) Love you!!

      Delete
  7. Amanda- Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can totally relate to your post, my son battles me on so many things and I get worn out. He knows my breaking point and tests me to the max! But then we have these moments where everything is great and I realize how much he is growing up and it reminds me why I love being a mom and why I love even the chaos. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! I know exactly what you mean :) Being a mom is the hardest, but most rewarding job!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

      Delete
  8. This is awesome!! I can relate.I can relate.I can SO relate! lol. I love your mom's comment. It sounds like something my mom would say...and Ruth Bell Graham is my FAVORITE! I have soaked in her words on more than one occasion. I love her poetry, and her letters, and her writing in general. That quote you posted is great. Thank you for linking up! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moms always seem to have the best advice :) Thanks so much for stopping by and for the kind comments!! Have a beautiful day!!

      Delete
  9. Hi Amanda! Found you through Becky over at Apples of Gold... love your sweet blog & certainly appreciate your honesty! About to be a new momma in a few (short) weeks, so I really like to see when people are real about motherhood, and the mess that comes with it!

    New follower, and look forward to getting to know you :)

    ReplyDelete