Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Raising Good People

"Parenthood is a partnership with God.  You are not molding iron nor chiseling marble; you are working with the Creator of the universe in shaping human character and determining destiny." ~ Ruth Vaughn


Parenting is easily one of the most difficult jobs in the world.  I sometimes sit complaining talking to my mom about all the things the girls have done and gotten into lately. She just smiles, nods her head, and says something like, "Do you remember the time you pulled the little wagon out from under your brother and broke his collarbone?" {...Oh...yeah...} "Or do you remember the time..." {Ok, Ok. I see where this is going.}  And then I proceed to spend the next ten minutes apologizing for everything I ever did as a baby, child, teen, college student, adult, etc. and letting my mom know that she is, without a doubt, the best woman ever.

In addition to potty training and temper tantrums and pulling dried play-doh out of the carpet, there is such a deep and awesome responsibility that comes with a child.  I often look at my girls and wonder why God chose my husband and me.  Why He chose to trust us and share with us these two most extraordinary little people.  



It is imperative to me that my little people grow up to be good people.  In this chaotic world, there are so many things coming at children from so many different directions.  I want them to know and love Jesus.  I want them to love others and have compassion for their lives and for their souls.  

As a teacher, I have known students with the biggest, kindest hearts.  They are precious and such blessings to me.  I have even thought to myself, "I hope my girls grow up to treat others that way."  Unfortunately, I have also seen the opposite.  Each soul is vulnerable, and each individual life is on a unique path.  I pray daily for my girls, just like my mom still prays for my siblings and me.  I pray with everything inside of me.  And as Jesus and my parents fought for me, I will fight for them.  





I'm so thankful I'm not fighting alone.  God blessed me with a pretty awesome partner.  Together, we take one day at a time, one obstacle at a time, and one moment at a time.  It's not always perfect, but it's so good.  We laugh and love, fuss and fight, and play and pray.  We don't always have the answers, but it's ok because we have faith in the One who does.  


"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." 
~ Philippians 4:6-7

Have a beautiful day!
Amanda :)

Turning the camera around and sharing this post at

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!!!
    I'm so proud of you in EVERY way! You are my, Beautiful Daughter (Both Inside and Out), a WONDERFUL Mother to my Beautiful GrandBaby Girls and one of My Best Friends (of course your Shorty Britches is the other one) ... :-) LOL
    I'm so proud of the Christian Young Lady you have grown into and I Thank God for bringing a Wonderful Christian man into your life! You Both make a mother Proud!
    Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete