Sunday, August 19, 2012

Walking in Sunshine

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills-
From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth." 
~Psalm 121: 1-2


(Today has been kind of cool and dreary...a good day for a little sunshine post.)

Do you ever have those days when you put the milk in the pantry?  Or forget about the laundry and find it two days later still in the washing machine?  Or almost hook the dog’s leash to the baby instead of the dog on your way out of the door?  That is so me...like every other day.  I said after each pregnancy that I lost a few more brain cells to the babies.  It’s even worse now that I have to drag all of us out of the house before 7:30 in the morning, and we’re supposed to be completely dressed or something.  

When Sunday evening rolls around and I start thinking about the week ahead and all the different directions we have to go, I get a little frazzled.  Sometimes, I’m just tired.  Mentally and emotionally exhausted.  I just need like five minutes.  These are the moments when I have to take a timeout...pause for a few...collect myself.  A few minutes in the sunshine, several deep breaths, and a quiet prayer significantly help.


Does anyone else just stop and stand in warm rays of sunshine?  I do that...especially when I’m feeling overwhelmed.  I stand with my eyes closed feeling as if the Lord is reaching down from heaven to touch me.  Life can get crazy, and I think sometimes we just need to take a few minutes to slow down, stop, and listen.  Let the God of the universe stir our souls, direct our paths, and calm our worries and fears.


Even when I was younger, I would take long walks on our farm to clear my head, be alone, and talk to the Lord.  I don't get much alone time these days (not even in the bathroom).  I have my own tagalong crew, but they are more of my prayers of thanks (and keepers of my hugs and kisses)!  Each afternoon during the week, I leave my second full time job to head home to my first full time job~being mommy.  Our afternoon walks help me transition.  I thank the Lord for these moments and for a bit of peace.


“The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” ~ Exodus 14:14

If your week gets a little crazy, I hope you get a chance to go for a walk and stand in the sunshine.
Have a great one!
Amanda :)


FYI:  Sidewalk chalk can also be good for lifting spirits...so I hear ;)


Sharing this post with: 


and 




1 comment: