Tuesday, August 7, 2012

For the Love of a Desk (and a Five Year Old)


(I originally had this listed under projects and paint, but decided to repost it and link up over at BruCrew Life for Trick or Treat Tuesdays and 
Mercy Ink for All Things Heart and Home)

I was SO excited about this little project!  I love vintage things, and my big girl recently turned five, so I wanted to find her an old school desk to use and enjoy.  I found this at a local thrift store for $10, and I knew it just wanted a little TLC...and some fun colors! ;)


Ok, so I load up this desk and bring it home like it's Christmas!   (Note to self: Just because I think something is pretty awesome and oozing with vintage charm does not mean that a five year old will feel the same way. True Story.)  There was a small kink in my master plan when the big girl looked at it once, turned up her nose, and said she didn't want it :( ... I was crushed.  Why couldn't she see how amazing this was going to be???  Maybe because she's five...and the little desk was looking a little sad...but I was prepared to fix that.  

I finally joined the spray paint ranks, and I LOVE the stuff!  I taped plastic bags around all of the pieces I didn't want to paint and went to work:


The desk looked like this for several days while I tried to figure out what I wanted to do for the top.  I wanted it to be bright and girly and fun...and I love scrapbook paper, so I rummaged through my stockpile searching for pieces that would complement the blue.  Not only did I discover a love for old desks and spray paint...now enter Mod Podge. ~ I know, to all of the veteran crafters out there, it must seem as if I just emerged from a cave ;) ~ The stuff is amazing!  I laid out the paper pieces, cut them to fit around the desk, and glued them down with the Mod Podge.


I put a couple of glossy clear coats on top to seal it.  It's not perfect, but that just means it fits perfectly in our home!



Needless to say, at this point the big girl was looking at this desk a little differently and decided that she loved it.  I was reluctant to give it up, but since it was a little too small for me...{sigh}...I let her have it ;)

Hope you have a great day! 
Amanda :)


3 comments:

  1. SO FUN!!! I'm looking for a little desk for my daughter's room... you've totally inspired me!

    thank you for linking up at mercy(INK)!

    have a blessed week,
    Lauren
    www.mercyinkblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! I'm so glad I inspired you!! It was such a fun project, and my girls use that desk every day! :) Thank you so much for stopping by!! I enjoy your blog so much :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. That is such a cute and fun chair!!! I wish I could find one to redo in my size:-) Glad your girly decided she liked it too!!!

    ReplyDelete