Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chalkboard, Chalkboard on the Wall



Note:  My better half (as awesome as he is) does not blog, or facebook, or instagram, so I feel it is my duty (and my pleasure) to share some of his DIY projects for everyone else to enjoy.  ;)

My mom (a.k.a. Biggi) has a pretty awesome finished basement.  We do not have a basement in our small home, so it's fun to enjoy hers.  To make a long and expensive story short, there was a lot of water, new carpet had to be torn up, and a newly remodeled basement had to be refinished...again.  

One side of the basement was updated for the enjoyment of the five grandchildren when they come to visit.  We decided it would be fun to make one of the walls a chalkboard.  I would just like to point out that this adult enjoys a chalkboard as much as the next kid!  So, I like to think this was my bright idea.  The board had to be big enough for all of the munchkins to have space to draw and all at the same time because that is the key to peace! This lonely white space was begging for some excitement...I could almost hear it...


Since the wall was getting a makeover and since she's our aspiring artist, this cutie pie had a little fun of her own before the paint got rolling...



We picked up this chalkboard paint on one of our many trips to Lowe's.  



The guy in black is my brother, the one in orange is my hubby, and together they are a pretty awesome team.  Of course, they have an adorable assistant helping them get things done.


They outlined the chalkboard using a blue chalk line and rolled on several coats of the paint.  This is what the wall looked like before the trim was added.


The trim was made by nailing up pieces of baseboard that were left from another project, so that worked out nicely, and it looked really good!


Oh, heyyy, cute little blur in the bottom corner, where did you come from?!  She is adorable assistant #2.


Shoe mold was nailed up to use as a chalk tray.


To help the trim stand out against the white wall, a pop of color was added. 


I LOVE this color.  It's soothing and lovely...just what you need in a room full of kids.  It's Valspar's Patina Blue.

It's pretty and fun and such a delightful little wall.  Add a few munchkins and some colorful chalk...


Maybe even an adult or two (someone has to use all of that space at the top)...and it's perfect!

Have a great day!
Amanda :)


Sharing this DIY post at:

7 comments:

  1. Love it ... and ... LOVE my Wall and ... All of the cute "Little Assistants" that helped make it happen! :-)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it!! We love you, too :)

      Delete
  2. It looks awesome, Amanda!!! Nice job! We're chalkboard-aholics over here... I've used chalkboard paint on everything from cookie sheets to pantry doors to walls... good stuff :)
    thanks for sharing with our heart&home gang!
    xo,
    lauren
    www.mercyinkblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love chalkboard paint, too, it's the best!! :) Thanks so much for stopping by and for the link up party!! I look forward to it each week!

      Delete
  3. Chalkboards are such fun for kids and adults alike. Love the big one here on that awesome blue wall. It looks so good and pops out really well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn!! We were really happy with it, and I love the blue wall, too!! It's a great color! Thanks for stopping by and for the link up party!!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE chalkboards...I admit, I have as much fun using the "high space" as the short people down low. We have a basement wall that looks pretty bare...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete